The first Wesleyan minister to live in Keswick was Rev Edmund Warters in 1835. By 1838 there were calls to remove the minister to support the newly-formed Workington Circuit, on the basis that 'he will be surrounded by plenty of work, and do something worth living for'. Slowly the cause picked up momentum.
A new church, the present one on Southey Street, was opened in 1863, at a cost of £1205. This was extended when a Sunday School was added in the late 1870s. The Church was also enlarged and remodelled in 1909.
Keswick benefited from the migration from Whitehaven of rich Wesleyan families such as the Randles and Walkers. The town was also helped by new railway links and the growing tourism business.